Monday, January 6, 2014

New State - New Coat

I'm cold. There is snow and frigid temperatures outside my window. I'm originally from Bridgeport, West Virginia, but have moved many times in my twenties and early thirties. Most notably, I lived in St. Petersburg, Florida and New York, New York.

I missed the snow terribly during my time in Florida. I was bothered by wearing shorts and a tank on Christmas day. The coldest month, if you could call it that, was January. It was then that I felt the need to break out my "winter coat." Granted, some may find it odd that my "winter coat" in Florida consisted of a buttery soft black leather jacket, but it warmed me just right. If memory serves me correctly, I owned one light scarf and a pair of gloves for when I traveled back to West Virginia. Needless to say, those stayed in my closet tucked away for those few and far between visits.

After close to five years down in Florida, I made my way up north to New York. Anyone who knows me, knows my love of New York. My father is a native New Yorker and my entire life has been consumed with love for that city. So, as hard as it may be to believe, I moved away from the beach and warm temperatures and straight into the heart of winter in New York City. Needless to say, my chic leather jacket couldn't necessarily be my "winter coat" up there, so I had to buy a REAL winter coat...or two...or three. I also quickly became aware of winter accessories, a necessity for those of us (many of us) who walked everywhere or rode the train. So off I went buying scarves and hats and gloves to mix and match with my coats. If I had to freeze in New York, I would at least freeze with style.

All in all, I am not a fan of cold weather. But I am willing to live in an area where we have all four seasons equally (for the most part). So here I am, back in West Virginia and bearing down with the rest of the US during this polar vortex, arctic blast and everything else thrown into the mix. The only good thing to come out of this winter is the fact that I can break out my winter coats (admittedly, new ones that were bought upon my arrival back to West Virginia...apparently I have a motto of "New State - New Coat") and my variety of fab winter accessories. I'm loving my latest, a Christmas gift from my sister, which is a pair of Calvin Klein Tech Gloves, which consists of "touch technology" where I can use my thumb and index fingers on any touchscreen device. I feel these gloves have replaced my favorite fingerless gloves that I was obsessed with from the Gap.

Here are a few photos taken of my favorite winter coats and accessories. Like I said in New York, if I have to freeze, I will at least freeze in style.

Hat, Scarf and Gloves: Calvin Klein; Jacket: Gap; Jeans: Gap; Boots: Madden Girl

Hat, Scarf and Gloves: Gap; Coat: St. John's Bay; Tee: Gap

Hat, Scarf and Gloves: Simply Vera Vera Wang; Coat: Sonoma; Dress: Simply Vera Vera Wang; Tights: Chinese Laundry; Pumps: Guess

2 comments:

  1. love your new blog…and of course your fab coats!! stay warm!

    ReplyDelete