Tuesday, January 21, 2014

reStyled By Liz


A few months ago, I decided to start my own business, which is called reStyled By Liz. I offer such services as styling, personal shopping and closet consultation. I wanted to bring my interests and background to those in my hometown of Bridgeport, West Virginia and surrounding areas.

My career in retail has spanned fourteen years. I started out with cashier and sales associate positions and quickly advanced to visual and management positions. I've worked at malls and boutiques and from a small town to larger cities to the Fashion Capital of the United States.

Some of my favorite stores/boutiques I have worked for have been Macy's, Chico's, Bebe, Tilly's, Banana Republic, The Body Shop, Juicy Couture and the Gap. Each of these brands have their own customer demographic and their own vision. It has been a whirlwind going from brand to brand and learning the secrets of the trade for each respective one. Not one store/boutique that I have worked at has resembled the next, which makes it more educational for me as well.

I gained a ton of styling experience while working at stores such as Bebe and Juicy Couture. Here, we had client books and were encouraged to create lasting relationships with loyal clients. If we made appointments with them, we would pull items that we knew they would love and we would either add to or create their perfect wardrobe. Styling is easy once you create a relationship with a client. Once you understand their personal style, it is easy to look over a rack in a store and pull out items that will compliment their wardrobe and style.

I have two Bachelor's degrees. One from West Virginia University in Psychology and the other from the Academy of Art University in Fashion Merchandising, with an emphasis on Visual Merchandising. I love it. I would be in charge of the entire look of the store, including all displays, mannequins and windows. I have been a part of every visual team in every store I have worked at, either being a visual associate or the visual manager. Normally, you are given a corporate standard's book to follow, in regard to floor sets, mannequins and windows, but normally each store allows creative freedom for leftover windows, walls, doors and/or mannequins. This was the most fun. To have your creativity on display for the world (okay, customers) to see. I love that I could place my personal stamp on each display I have created over the years.

I use my background in visual for not only styling and personal shopping, but also in my closet consultations. It's fun to look at a closet, sketch out all you can do to have the maximum use of space, a clear organizational view and to find fun ways to display your accessories and clothing. I love to work on standards such as hanging and folding items properly, to ensure a long life for your wardrobe, and to color coordinate or organize seasonal clothing. It's not a job to me, it's fun. Though sometimes I miss doing my windows (especially in New York), I love to bring my knowledge and expertise to those around me.

Floral Handbag, Mesh Platform Heels, Three Tier Necklace and Black and Navy Handbag: Simply Vera Vera Wang; Satin Scarf: Vintage;  Blue Teardrop Necklace: Pier One; Studded Pumps: Aldo

Mesh Platform Heels: Simply Vera Vera Wang; Blue Teardrop Necklace: Pier One; Three Tier Necklace: Simply Vera Vera Wang

Blue Clutch: Liz Claiborne; Handbag: Juicy Couture; Blue Beaded Sandals: Gianni Bini; Necklace: Liz & Co.; Scarf: Unknown; Glass Bangle and Blue and Silver Bangle: Pier One; Black Strappy Sandal: Lauren Ralph Lauren;

Blue Beaded Sandals: Gianni Bini

No comments:

Post a Comment